Saturday, February 2

Working in a library

When I tell people I work in a library, in most cases the response I get it something like this...

"Oh, I would love to work in a library. I just love to read and being around all those books would be just great. I bet you just love having all that time to sit around and read."

Is this the most common public perception of librarians? That we sit around and read all day?

Well I do get to look at books....lots of them. I also look at lots of DVD's, CD's, and Magazines.

When I mention the library I work at to a patron of the library that I happen to meet out in the community, they often remark that they've never seen me there.

What do I do all day? Sit in a corner and read books? Not hardly.

I am a Technical Services and Aquisitions Librarian. In my department, we order and process all those DVD's and books. They are given catalog records in the computer and labels so that people can find them on the shelves. Protective coverings are applied so that the items last longer during multiple uses.

Yes, I do get to browse though an occasional book now and then, but i save my reading for when I am at home snuggled up in bed with a cup of tea and my cat dozing by my side.

2 comments:

wonderlandchick said...

Yeah, and because I work around all those books I'm supposed to have the ability to identify them all by color!

Allison said...

So true! I admit that I do read more now than I ever did before I became a librarian, but it's all on my own time! It would be nice if we got paid to sit around and read, though... :)